Wednesday, August 16, 2006

4 Months, Surgery and Why I Should Move Cities.

Lets start with the feel-good stories.

Spudly is now 4-and-a-bit months old. At yesterday's weigh-in he was 6.74kg and 64cm long. This explains why he is getting far to heavy for me to carry around, and why no matter how hard I try to stretch them, his cute little star suit and bunny onesie just.wont.fit. He's growing up, before my eyes, and while I delight in all the little achievements he's made, it just reminds me that one day he wont be a baby anymore. He'll be going to kindy and then school and dealing with Other Children and Other Adults and they wont necessarily think he is the most wonderful person on the planet and wont make him the centre of their universe. I KNOW! How is this possible? It just aint right.

Two achievements of the last week stand out. On Friday he discovered the joys of sticking out his tongue. Yesterday he discovered that if you stick your tongue out and then blow it makes FANTASTIC NOISES and sometimes even LOTS OF BUBBLES and this is the MOST EXCITING THING EVER!!!!! Today, in response to his increased formula intake, he has started on solids. Yes! Solids! Though why some bland mush is termed "solids" I'll never know. Spudly gave the appropriate facial expressions (what the hell is this crap and why are you putting it in my mouth???) but he did eat it. And then he opened his mouth for more. And more. And some of it went down his front but mostly it went in his gob and he didnt complain about it so I can only put that down as a Success.

Moving right along to My Role As Nursemaid... Monkey Boy now has two lovely incisions in his shoulder, a sling and a prescription for morpheine. I didnt really appreciate how much I rely on him for help with Spudly until he wasnt available anymore. Nor did I realise exactly how demanding Spudly is. He likes attention, does my boy. He likes attention and he likes it NOW. And no, I dont want to wait until you've gone to the loo and I dont want to wait until you come back into the room with my bottle, I want ALL MY PEOPLE HERE, RIGHT NOW! Monkey Boy will have the sling for another week, and will be out of action for another 4-6 weeks. By which time the rest of my hair will have fallen out.

And now for the number one reason why people want to leave this city, made only too obvious to me recently.

There may be one million people here but you can guarantee that there are only two degrees of seperation between them all. You cannot do a bloody thing without running into someone you know or finding out that someone you know knows someone else you know but through links you didnt know existed. And sometimes that person is someone you've tried damn hard to get out of your life for a long long time. And sometimes the person that knows them is family.

And so it was for me when we last had a family lunch with the rest of the Monkey Boy clan. Monkey Boys elder sister, Vegan Girl, mentioned in passing people she had brought down to the parents property in the country, people who'd hated it because there was nothing to do in the country. Then she mentioned their names. It was like a kick in the guts.

How do you know Skankface and Dr Evil? I asked. (and yes, thats their real names). She works with Skankface. Is very very VERY good friends with Skankface. Has a lot of RESPECT for Skankface. My sister-in-law. Respect. For the woman that almost 5 years ago took advantage of our friendship and my alchohol-sodden unconscious self and sexually assaulted me.

What does one do?

Well, first one freaks out totally and absolutely.

Then one gets home and gets on to gmail chat and freaks out to Lala who gives excellent advice.

Then one does the next hardest thing and goes to see parents-in-law and tells them the situation. Because a) Vegan Girl has to know that Skankface cannot under any circumstances know that VG and I are now related, where I am or that I even exist anymore. b) VG and her partner must know because the stories she was telling about Skankface made it abundantly clear that she had not changed her attitude to the appropriate/inappropriate behaviour distinction and they were therefore both at risk, and c) VG, being in the past prone to outbursts of uncontrolled anger, may not react at all well to what we had to tell her and therefore the inlaws had to be forewarned of the possibility of major fuckuppage as far as that relationship went.

The greatest fear for me was that VG would react the way so many of my friends did at the time of the assault. It took me a long time and a lot of therapy to accept that the way they handled it was unacceptable. You dont say to someone who has just been sexually assaulted by a friend "I cant believe that she would do that. There must be some mistake. Lets give her a second chance. Oh and by the way, we've invited both of you to the same parties so make nice and dont cause a scene." Okay no-one actually said that last bit, but it was still there, hanging in the air.

So while I was lunching with two internet buddies, Monkey Boy was lunching with Vegan Girl. Who not only took it much better than expected, but also wanted to know if we'd like to take out a contract on her. I dont want to know if she was serious. Not that I have the money anyway. But y'know... if you're a hit man with nothin to do...*

The truly worst thing about this is that I felt safe within the Monkey Boy clan. They are like a high wall protecting all within from the worst the world offers up. Until one of the worst things my world offered up to me managed to get inside, and now I know that no matter what I am not safe.

I'm thinking I might go build on my real estate on the Moon.

Erg. Heavy. Too heavy. Look at the pretty...




* I am joking. Dont come raid my house and arrest me n stuff.

12 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:54 pm

    Um...WOW!

    Congrats and good for Spud and poor Monkey Boy and ... eh??

    Hell of a post.

    SO glad to hear your voice (?) again...da Boy and I missed ya!

    kisses,
    Lumi

    ReplyDelete
  2. I missed you too! Another great and brave post. Give Monkey Boy my wishes for a speedy recovery, (but don't tell him it because I want him to be able to help you with Spud again.) Heh!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome Back!
    Brave post my dear...
    and I just had to gulp.....
    I am so sorry that you had to hear about Skankface...
    But am glad that you Vegan Girl is standing by you...
    Hope Monkey Boy is feeling better...
    and big smooches to Spudly...

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great picture!

    I remember feeding our daughter solids for the first time, she's spit it out while making bubbles and it got all over my glasses.

    My wife took a picture.

    Daughter still does stuff like that even at 13 months. It's not really funny anymore.
    If she keeps it up until she's an adult, she may get arrested.

    That's not good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know the background to this story (I will email you) but that is heavy. Glad Vegan Girl is by your side.

    I can't wait for us to meet and have the babies hang out together.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous11:59 pm

    You know, Lumi and I are both of Sicilian descent right?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous9:12 am

    Whoa. That really sucks about Skankface.

    But my gosh your little guy is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous7:37 pm

    How much does living in our little city suck at times like this??? So glad that you feel safe with the monkey clan even though that would feel scary too. You have some people in your court that you can rely upon. That's nice but scary at the same time.

    Gorgeous little Spud. He does a very good little wise man face. Mwah! for Spud. Hope you are holding up okay being the Minister for Everything in your house at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hope things are going a bit better for you Panda. Sounds hellish re Skankface. Great that you have Monkey Boy's family support.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Whoa. That really sucks about Skankface.

    But my gosh your little guy is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I missed you too! Another great and brave post. Give Monkey Boy my wishes for a speedy recovery, (but don't tell him it because I want him to be able to help you with Spud again.) Heh!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Um...WOW!

    Congrats and good for Spud and poor Monkey Boy and ... eh??

    Hell of a post.

    SO glad to hear your voice (?) again...da Boy and I missed ya!

    kisses,
    Lumi

    ReplyDelete

Comments make blogging a conversation, rather than mere self-indulgent navel-gazing. Look at that big empty space down there...just waiting for your thoughts.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...